Friday, July 12, 2013

Between the devil and the deep blue

I decided to bring the car to work today, as I was all set to go at 6:00 a.m. This proved to be a mistake when, at 6:30, traffic suddenly stood still. I did get to work way before the appointed time, but it was much more stressful than I'd expected it to be. But before Pureza station, traffic had been clear as the morning.

As I'd mentioned in yesterday's ramblings, the train ride (which is really a long walk to the station, a long train ride, and then a jeep ride to work) has its own stressors. Yesterday's jeep dropped me off on the island in the middle of a highway. I couldn't jaywalk to the other end. The onrushing cars seemed to me like a swiftly flowing current of a swollen river. I really don't know how I made it to the other end but I do remember being scratched by the thorny bougainvilleas planted along the island (I had to walk close to the vegetation, lest I "fell") until I got into a part where the cars slowed down enough for me to think that it was actually possible to wade through.

Yesterday I was so tired that I literally fell into bed and passed out as soon as I got home. But I suppose the train really is the way to go. And, it's more environment friendly too. 

No comments:

Post a Comment