Wednesday, September 21, 2011

1081

And while we're on the topic of thought and imagination, let's tackle memory as well.

Around 2 decades ago, the old college gave me my very first faculty ID: ID No. 1081. I looked at the dean's assistant incredulously (somehow, I had to claim the ID from her).

What's wrong?

Don't you see? Proclamation No. 1081.

No, she didn't see; she didn't know what I was talking about; and maybe it's too much to expect people to remember things relating to Martial Law, when there is so much about it that we want to forget.

No to full military honors at the Libingan ng mga Bayani for former president Ferdinand Marcos.

2 comments:

  1. I just found your post - agree - no, no, no to military honours for Marcos. It would be an insult to the real heroes buried there - which includes my Lolo. 1081 is burned in my brain - I hope Filipinos continue to remember what 1081 did to us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Candy! Thanks for stopping by. An insult indeed to the real heroes, like your grandfather. :) See you around (cyberspace, if not real-space), I hope!

    ReplyDelete